[Rd] bug in modulus operator %% (PR#7852)

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Thu May 12 15:14:00 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> I've now found a Windows system that does this.  This is also Windows
> XP, fully patched, and with the same rw2010.  So it may be
> chip-specific: the one that works is a P4 and the one that does not is
> a latest Pentium M.
>
> I am not sure that the guarantee on the help page has been supported
> for a while.  I've altered the code so it is more likely to be.
>
> BTW,
>
>> options(digits=20)
>> 1 %% 0.001
>
> [1] 0.0009999999999999792
>
> shows why the original is not a bug in R.

Why is that not a bug in R? On my machine (windows XP, rw2010 from CRAN)
I get:

test <- function(x, y) (x %% y) + y * ( x %/% y ) # should be x
 > test(1, 0.001)
[1] 1.001
 > test(1, 0.1)
[1] 1.1
 > test(1, 1)
[1] 1
 > test(1, 0.01)
[1] 1.01

and this differences (well, not the third one) cannot be said to be
rounding
error.

Kjetil

--

Kjetil Halvorsen.

Peace is the most effective weapon of mass construction.
               --  Mahdi Elmandjra