[Rd] Implementing R on IBM p690 cluster Jump

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu May 12 01:13:53 CEST 2005

On 11/05/2005, at 11:26 PM, Kurt Hornik wrote:
>> There seem to be problems in the autoconf stuff.  cos and sin are
>> being located in libm but the link line you show has no '-lm' which
>> accounts for 6 of the 7 missing symbols.  Also gettext seems to have
>> been located by the configure script, but there is no option on the
>> link line to include it in the link. Also search configure.in for
>> strings like powerpc-ibm-aix to see what stuff is being done
>> specifically for AIX.  It may be out of date in relation to your
>> system.
>>

>> If it was my problem, I would have look at those bits of the
>> configure
>> script and the sections of configure.in that generated them.  Then I
>> would compare the AC_SUBST variables with the makefile.in that
>> generated the link.  It seems there is some non- communication there.

> Yes most of the undefined symbols seem to come from libm.  But they
> would also be in libm on all other platforms which have such, and
> we do
> not include it there.  On Linux I get
>
> gcc-3.4 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o R_X11.so  dataentry.lo
> devX11.lo rotated.lo rbitmap.lo  -lSM -lICE -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
> -ljpeg -lpng -lz -L../../../lib -lR

What happens on Linux is just not really relevant to what happens on
AIX, although it might explain why the errors have not been picked
up.  A number of platforms do not have a separate libm.  Instead they
have a symlink to some general C library.  So typically libm is
linked by default on these platforms.  It looks as if that is not the
case on AIX, and that a specific -lm flag is needed.

> and this works.  As Brian already wrote, we are building a *module*
> here, so I assume that we are not getting the flags for building
> modules
> right.  Assuming that libtool can, it might be helpful to look at the
> output of BUILDDIR/libtool --config.

The error messages are about missing symbols.

Bill