[Rd] Different package versions on CRAN?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 8 11:07:53 CEST 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> I am making changes to some of my packages that are exposed in CRAN. Some
> changes make them incompatible with previous R versions [and I use Depends: R
> (>= 2.1.0)]. I suspect that, as soon as I will upload this new version to
> CRAN, it will replace the old one _everywhere_?

No.  It would not be offered as an update to systems running R < 2.1.0.

> However, the previous version
> of these packages remains perfectly usable with R 1.9.X or 2.0.X. So, will
> this break the binaries in /windows/contrib/1.9|2.0, or will the latest valid
> binaries of my packages remain there, not updated? To put it another way, for

We do not update binary versions for obselete versions of R.  Just look at
the dates on the directories: 2.0 was last updated on April 19.  And even
if we did (the 1.9 directory was AFAIR updated for a bit after 2.0.0 came
out) the version depending on R >= 2.1.0 would not build and so the last
good version would be left.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk