[Rd] trouble building r-devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 13:12:10 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:32:33 +0100, Uwe Ligges
>> <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote :

>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> I disagree.
>>> This "slimmed-down" file points you to the thorough Chapter "Installing R
>>> under Windows" in the "`R Installation and Administration' manual in the
>>> doc/manual directory". Quite at the top of Section "Building from source"
>>> there is the Subsection "Getting the tools".
>>>
>>> I think we do NOT want to point people to Duncan's page at first, or they
>>> would not read the more comprehensive manual any more.
>>

>> This is a problem that is hopefully temporary.  Once 2.1.0 is out, it
>> will be reasonable to expect most Windows users to have installed the
>> binary version and have the manual available, the manual will be
>> available online, etc.  However, right now a source download only gets
>> the Texinfo source for the manual.
>
> The R-devel manual is online availabe at
> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/
> so even this is not a big problem.

The HTML version of R-admin _is_ in the source tarballs: only if you get
this by SubVersion will you be reduced to the texinfo version.  (And the
top-level INSTALL file tells you that: I will repeat it in the
src/gnuwin32/INSTALL file.)

Hence the comments in another part of the thread about getting the alpha
tarballs and reading the documentation there.  (Since I have been away for
a few days I have not checked the alpha tarballs, but I have checked the
snapshots several times.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk