[Rd] Re: [R-SIG-Mac] NaN and linear algebra

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 10:25:58 CET 2005

I am sorry that I wasn't clear.  All that I meant was that *this*
problem can result in different behaviour in "ordinary" statistical
applications.  For example, if the objective function in a call to
optim() involves calling one of these linear algebra routines, the
result may be NaN (on systems other than Mac OS X) --- which optim will
typically handle sensibly --- or something else (an error, or perhaps
some consequence of getting 0 for the determinant) under Mac OS X .

Probably this was obvious to you.  Apologies if I misled you into
thinking that there was some other problem I knew about.

Best regards,
David