[Rd] returning NULL from .Call call

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 00:58:09 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Oleg Sklyar wrote:

> Dear R developers,
>
> I've just encountered one "feature" of R-C extensions.

What feature is that?  (It really is not clear from your description.)

NULL in R is expressed as R_NilValue in C.  What did you do when `trying
to return NULL'?  NULL in C is not a valid value for a SEXP pointer, of
course.

This is documented in `Writing R Extensions', and there are many examples
of it around.