[Rd] R_alloc with more than 2GB (PR#7721)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 23:02:19 CET 2005

It is a feature.  Other parts of R expect a CHARSXP to have length less
than or equal to 2^31 - 1.

Because of the use of Fortran, it is hard to see how to allow internal
lengths (in elements, not necessarily bytes) to exceed that value.  We
need to return to that, but it is not straightforward and last time we
discussed it we agreed to defer it.

We can manage a better error message, but I am afraid nothing else in the
near future.

Could you not use x = allocVector(REALSXP, vs) and REAL(x)[i]?  That will
get you up to 2^31 - 1 elements, which is the R limit AFAIK.