[Rd] Underscore character in Rd files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 14:24:08 CET 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Martin Keller-Ressel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to document a data frame in Rd format. The data frame contains a
> variable called
> 'Health_Env'. When I create a template for the Rd file using 'prompt()' the
> variable name is
> included as-is and when I run R CMD CHECK I get a latex error because latex
> considers '_' a special character (used for subscripts) which is only allowed
> in math mode.
> When I replace the variable name with 'Health\_Env' in the Rd file latex runs
> fine, but I get a codoc-mismatch warning because the backslash is not part of
> the variable name in the data frame.
> Is there a way to completely satisfy R CMD CHECK in this case and avoid both
> errors and warnings??

Don't use _ in the \name field (as documented in `Writing R Extensions'
for your version), or update your R: from the NEWS of R-devel (development
releases available on CRAN for Windows)

     o	There are no longer any restrictions on characters in the
 	\name{} field of a .Rd file: in particular _ is supported.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk