[Rd] R Include File Guards

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 13:50:54 CEST 2005

What is the `bug' here which you suggest reporting?

We have already established that leading underscores are NOT `illegal',
just reserved and possibly ineffective according to the C99 standard
(although we don't have any evidence of that being followed by an actual
compiler). Given that the system includes on all three of my OSes use
guards with leading underscores, they were VERY unlikely to be `illegal'
as you stated.  (Looking in /usr/local/include shows that they are very
widely used in other projects.)

Is there any known platform on which there is a consequential problem?
If not (and we have no evidence), we do not play around with non-bugs in
patch releases.

Some adjustments have been made in the development version of R.
BTW: not all files in R_ext are part of the API: however GraphicsDevice.h
and GraphicsEngine.h are and they are now compatible with C++ and have
guards.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk