[Rd] Citation for R

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:49:56 CEST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Gordon K Smyth wrote:

> This is just a note that R would get a lot more citations if the
> recommended citation was an article in a recognised journal or from a
> recognised publisher.

This is unfortunately true, but R is *not* an article or a book, it is a
piece of software.  I don't think I'm the only person who thinks it is
counterproductive in the long run to encourage users to cite an article
that they probably haven't read instead of citing the software they
actually used.

Jan's suggestion of the Journal of Statistical Software might provide a
solution, since JSS *does* publish software.

 	-thomas