[Rd] by should use match.fun

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jun 12 22:49:29 CEST 2005

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/12/05, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> > Umm.. why don't you just use
> >
> > by(iris, row.names(iris), `(`)
> >
> > In general I consider passing functions as text unnecessary - the
> > only use I could think of is constructing function names from strings/
> > data and I'm not sure that is a good idea, either (it causes quite
> > some performance issues) ... just my 2 pennies ...
>
> That's a good idea and I will change my code accordingly although it does
> not change the fact that an inconsistency remains and should be
> corrected.

Also, match.fun takes some pains to actually give you a function,
guarding the user against the (otherwise well-deserved...)
consequences of storing results in an object called "summary", etc.

So, good idea. Maybe not for 2.1.1 though. This close to a release we
should be going strictly after actual bugs, not just inconsistencies.

 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph: (+45) 35327918