[Rd] R 2.1.1 slated for June 20

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 15:57:56 CEST 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> The next version of R will be released (barring force majeure) on June
> 20th, with beta versions available starting Monday.
>
> Please do check them on your system *before* the release this time...

Some things which it would be particularly helpful to have tested:

- FreeBSD.  We believe we have a workaround and it has been tested by
   Rainer Hurling, but tests of the actual beta tarball would be helpful.

- AIX.  I am unclear if R currrently builds on AIX.

- Solaris 10.  I believe that various people have now succeeded, but
   it would be good to have positive feedback, especially if anyone has
   the latest Sun compilers (Forte 9?).

- Korean.  We have recently had contributed Korean translations of the
   messages, Windows menus and installer.  It looks like Korean to me, but
   that's as far as it goes.  So please test on Windows and on Unix-alikes,
   the latter in both UTF-8 and EUC-KR if possible.

- Bleeding-edge OSes, e.g. anyone running Fedora Core 4 test 3?  (These
   often show up problems with bugs in the pre-release versions of
   components such as X11 and compilers.)

- Windows:  R for Windows can now be installed in a wide range of Western
   European languages, some Eastern European ones, (Simplified) Chinese,
   Japanese and Korean.  Please test these.  If you know
   Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, (European)
   Portuguese or Slovenian please consider submitting translations for
   the following phrases which will otherwise appear in English:

en.regentries=Registry entries:
en.associate=Associate R with .RData files
en.dcom=Register R path for use by the (D)COM server
en.user=User installation
en.compact=Minimal user installation
en.full=Full installation
en.CJK=Chinese/Japanese/Korean installation
en.custom=Custom installation

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk