[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jun 8 05:56:58 CEST 2005

Let me add to the pot:

I think Robert and Brian are against imposing additional _requirement_ on
packages to provide an overview in .Rd, and I tend to agree with that
sentiment.

However, if such a facility is made optional (like vignettes) for package
author/maintainer, then I have no problem with it.  Perhaps it can work like
the CITATION file:  The package author/maintainer can choose to (or not to)
use it.  If one is not provided in the package source, then something
halfway sensible is auto-generated from various files (or perhaps just runs
help(package="<pkg>").

Or perhaps yet another function can be added to the `utils' package, like
packageOverview(), which can either:
- open an overview vignette if one is provided
- open the overview .Rd in whatever format the default help is in
- run help(package="<pkg>") if neither is available

Just my $0.02...

Andy