[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Jun 7 19:00:25 CEST 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:43:37 +0200 Martin Maechler wrote:

>     >>> The current .Rd files don't just document functions, they also
>     >document >> data objects and classes.
>     >>>
>     >>> But the main point here is that it's not good to have multiple
>     >>> disconnected sets of documentation for a package.  Users
>     >should be able >> to say the equivalent of "give me help on foo",
>     >and get help on foo, >> whether it's a function, a data object, a
>     >package, a method, a class, or >> whatever.  It's a bad design to
>     >force them to ask for the same sort of >> thing in different ways
>     >depending on the type of thing they're asking for.
>     ... On 6/7/2005 11:59 AM, Robert Gentleman wrote:
>
>     >>
>     >> Hi Duncan and others,
>     >> I think they are linked. There are tools available both in R
>     >and in > Bioconductor and some pop things up and some don't. It
>     >doesn't take much > work to add vignettes to the windows menu bar
>     >- as we have done in BioC > for some time now - it would be nice
>     >if this was part of R, but no one > seems to have been interested
>     >in achieving that. Fixing the help system > to deal with more
>     >diverse kinds of help would be nice as well - but > taking one
>     >part of it and saying, "now everyone must do it this way" is >
>     >not that helpful.
>
>     >> I respectfully disagree about the main point. My main point is,
>     >I > don't want more things imposed on me; dealing with  R CMD
>     >check is > enough of a burden in its current version, without
>     >someone deciding that > it would be nice to have a whole bunch
>     >more requirements. Folks should > feel entirely free to do what
>     >they want - but a little less free to tell > me what I should be
>     >doing.
>
>     Duncan> And I disagree pretty strenuously about that.  One
>     Duncan> of the strengths of R is that it does impose
>     Duncan> standards on contributed packages, and these make
>     Duncan> them easier to use, less likely to conflict with
>     Duncan> each other, and so on.
>
>     Duncan> We shouldn't impose things lightly, but if they do
>     Duncan> make packages better, we should feel no reason not
>     Duncan> to tell you what you should be doing.
>
> As Kurt mentioned early in this thread, we currently have
> the auto-generated information from
> either
>
>     help(package = <pkgname>)    # or (equivalently!)
>     library(help = <pkgname>)
>
> which shows
>       DESCRIPTION +
>       (user-written/auto-generated) INDEX +
>       mentions vignettes and other contents in inst/doc/
>
> Now if Duncan would write some R code that produces a
> man/<pkgname>.Rd file from the above information

I would like to second what Gabor said earlier in this thread: we cannot
simply create man/<pkgname>.Rd because this will already exist for many
packages. Examples that come to my mind include: betareg, chron,
ellipse, flexmix, ineq, zoo, and many more. Renaming the package is not
an option, so probably the man page has to be renamed to something like
man/<pkgname>.package.Rd, say. And then doing
  help(package = "foo")
and
  help("foo.package")
is not that much of a difference, is it? Personally, I find the former
more intuitive.