[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 14:35:54 CEST 2005

My 0.02:

I use Misc.Rd for the purpose that Duncan suggests.  I put things like
details and rationale for package
organization, pointers to the most important function(s) in the
package,  and perhaps function descriptors
for ubiquitous functions that don't warrant their own helppage, but
need documentation [in
the case of gsl, this would be strictify() and process.args(), which
every user needs to know].

It would be *great* to be required to put in "package.gsl.R"  (or
should that be "gsl.package.Rd"?)
for this purpose.  Then maybe R CMD check could check for its presence
and throw a wobbly
if it isn't there.

Some packages have so  much material that it's difficult to know where
the "meat" of the functionality lies,
and Duncan's suggestion would help greatly in these circumstances.

best wishes

rksh