[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 13:59:34 CEST 2005

>>I would like to suggest a standard where all packages provide an Rd page
>>with the same name (or aliased) as the name of package so that
>>help(<package name>) or ?<package name> is always here. This especially
>>of interest to large packages with a large package index. This page
>>could explain the package in general and gives some hints on how to
>>start - not like extensive vignettes, but just to get started, e.g. list
>>the "most important" functions.

But isn't that just what vignettes are there for?

And I think nobody has said that vignettes should be "extensive", and if
they end up being so, that is a problem of the package author, and
probably would end up being the same with yet another form of documentation.

Best regards
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber
European Bioinformatics Institute