[Rd] Problem building R

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 19 20:22:37 CEST 2005

I initially thought this only was the case for me on R-devel, but also
just tested it on the current R-patched and R-2.1.1 (so perhaps this more
belongs on R-help, but ...).

I'm having an odd error with the makefiles in src/library/XXX while
building R.  When it tries to create the 'po' directory, the Makefile
specifies:

	@if test -d $(srcdir)/inst/po; then \
	  $(MKINSTALLDIRS) $(top_builddir)/library/$(pkg)/po; \
	  cp -pr  $(srcdir)/inst/po/* $(top_builddir)/library/$(pkg)/po; \
	  find "$(top_builddir)/library/$(pkg)/po" -name .svn -type d
-prune \
	   -exec rm -rf \{\} \; 2>/dev/null; \
	fi

However, mine dies with the error:
make[3]: Entering directory
`/mnt/disk2/home/jgentry/R-devel/src/library/base'
building package 'base'
all.R is unchanged
make[3]: *** [all] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/disk2/home/jgentry/R-devel/src/library/base'
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1

If I put an echo in between the find and the 'fi', it will no longer throw
an error and go to the next package (where it will fail as I didn't put
the echo in there, presumably I could go and put an echo in all of the
base packages and my install would work though).

Has anyone seen this?

FWIW I'm using an AMD x86_64 machine, running RHEL WS 3.2

Thanks