[Rd] extracting and manipulating components from nlme and gnls objects

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Tue Jul 19 19:32:40 CEST 2005

Hi,
Yes, I looked more carefully at the code and realized the parameters
have to be named
and then the gradient is returned so that
SSlogis(3.4,4,5,6) does not return the gradient as an attribute but
Asym<-4
xmid<-5
scal<-6
SSlogis(3.4,Asym,xmid,scal)

does.

However what I am finding more vexing is if I fit a model, say

fit<-gnls(resp~SSlogis(covar,Asym,xmid,scal), data=foo,
weights=varPower())

and I want to evaluate the arbitrary variance function at a new x, x0
then how do i get the variance function from the fit object and evaluate
it
at f(x0,..)?

So far I can predict at x0 using predict(fit, newdata=list(covar=x0)) to
get the fitted value
but how to I plug that in to the varStruct stored in fit$modelStruct?

Thanks
Nicholas