[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:42:26 CEST 2005

Hi

while everyone is discussing abstract algebra in R,
perhaps it would be good to let the list know about
pari.   From the FAQ

PARI/GP is a widely used computer algebra
system designed for fast computations in
number theory (factorizations, algebraic
number theory, elliptic curves...), but also
contains a large number of other useful
functions to compute with mathematical
entities such as matrices, polynomials,
power series, algebraic numbers, etc., and
a lot of transcendental functions.

My elliptic package has some basic functionality to evaluate
pari/gp statements via system() but I daresay there are better
ways to write a wrapper.

Would anyone on the List be interested in PARI wrapping?

best wishes

Robin