[Rd] R v2.1.0 patched (>2005-05-09) for Windows?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Fri Jul 15 10:01:05 CEST 2005

I'm trying to troubleshoot a case where R crashes on Windows.  It does
not occur at all with my R v2.1.0 patched (2005-05-09), but happens on R
v2.1.1 (patched or non-patched) in many different cases.  The R
v2.2.0dev (2005-07-15) also got this problem (although it won't crash on
the below example).  I previously reported this
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-June/033772.html) and
Duncan Murdoch kindly offered to look into the problem, but it is
tricky.  Now I would like to track down in what patched R v2.1.0 the
problem first occurs and are now looking for reports from newer version,
but pre-Rv2.1.1.

If you've got R v2.1.0 patched for Windows *after 2005-05-09*, could you
please try the following in that version of R?

install.packages("R.oo")
library(R.oo)
author <- "dummy"
rdocFile <- system.file("misc", "Exception.R", package="R.oo")
cat("# Empty example code\n", file="Exception.Rex")
Rdoc$compile(rdocFile, destPath=tempdir())
print("successful!")

If you see "successful!", that version is "ok", otherwise R will crash
(or alternatively incorrectly complain about an invalid regular
expression; rerun and it will crash the 2nd time).  I would appreciate a
lot if you report to me what you get and what is your version of R?
Thanks a lot!

Note that this is most likely *not* due to R.oo (no native code) - my
wild guess is that it has to do with a memory leak in the code for
environments or regular expressions.

Thanks

Henrik Bengtsson