[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Fri Jul 15 02:21:00 CEST 2005

Perhaps, this is the wrong mailing list, but I've been thinking about calling e.g. maxima from R through some kind of wrapper. On windows, maxima can be invoked through a file called maxima.bat which opens a simple 'dos terminal' in which maxima is running. A simple way of interfacing R and maxima would be through a function which 'copies' a text string into such a dos terminal with maxima running and copies the output back into R. That particular task is something which one might want to be able to do with several other programs too... A way of doing this would be through the system() and/or shell() functions where input and output can be redirected to/from the program called, e.g. maxima. The problem is, that system()/shell() will start maxima, execute the submitted code and terminate maxima. As I understand it, RDCOMClient provides a way of getting a 'handle' on such a program provided that the program is written in a specific way - something to do with COM. However, I wonder if it would be possible to write a general R function, (e.g. called dynamicshell()) which would provide a handle on such an application and to which one could send commands and retrieve output without shutting the application down. That is, essentially, a programatic form of 'copy and paste' in two directions... Is there anything in the way R is constructed that prevents that such a function could be written, and if so can anyone explain to me why and/or point me to a reference explaining why.

Best regards
Søren