[Rd] dyn.load in linux: missing libraries?

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 6 05:48:01 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've just about got myself transferred from windowsXP to Linux (Mepis
3.3.1-1). I've got R 2.1.1, emacs, and ess running from the debian
repositories. Of course, there is a hitch. I have a bit of C code in one
of my personal functions. I have, apparently without problem, been able
to compile it using R CMD SHLIB, but when I try to dyn.load it I get the
following error:

 > dyn.load("Cfiles/Neutral/Bell2000.dll")
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
    unable to load shared library
'/home/tyler/RWorkingDirectory/Cfiles/Neutral/Bell2000.dll':
  /home/tyler/RWorkingDirectory/Cfiles/Neutral/Bell2000.dll: invalid ELF
header

I take this to mean one of the required libraries is either not loaded
or not updated. Or, I've overlooked something. Can anyone point me to a
solution? I tried updating my perl files, and I haven't found anything
using the R Site Search...

Thanks,

Tyler