[Rd] S4 class no longer accepts matrix in array slot under 2.0.1

Witold Eryk Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Tue Jan 11 13:04:00 CET 2005

Giles Heywood wrote:

>I see - clearly I had confused the extended superclass with a slot.  I'm not
>sure that this correction to my thinking moves me closer to my objective,
>however (i.e. extending array and allowing 2D array, as was allowed in
>1.9.1).
>
>In such a situation I return to the documentation and examples.  I have a
>further question about documentation.  The Green Book, valuable and
>frequently cited as it is, is now in many ways increasingly difficult to
>relate to R, except at a somewhat abstract level (I fully understand that R
>is a separate implementation of the S language etc).  I also have found
>Venables and Ripley ch5 most helpful.  Is there in existence documentation
>which provides an overview of the methods package as it now stands, rather
>like an updated Green Book?  Or are there specific packages or example
>packages which illustrate most of, or much of, the functionality (I have
>found SparseM useful in this way)?
>
>TIA
>
>Giles

Hi,

You will find some info material about S4 at the www.bioconductor.org page.
There is also a tutorial by R. Gentleman about S4 at:
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/S-Workshop/

I have started to write a mansucript about inheritance in S4.
You can find it at.

http://www.molgen.mpg.de/~wolski/Robject/Extending.pdf
http://www.molgen.mpg.de/~wolski/Robject/Extending.Rnw

Eryk

Ps. If you find the Extending.Rnw file usefull and find any erros would
you be so kind to edit the file and send it back to me?

--
Dipl. bio-chem. Witold Eryk Wolski
MPI-Moleculare Genetic
      wolski at molgen.mpg.de