[Rd] problems with tcltk in R 2.0.1 (PR#7698)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 17:46:05 CET 2005

What do you think the bug is here?

The error message is saying there is an error in your code or code it
calls, and without a traceback() we cannot tell where (see the comment
below about a corrupt archive).

That something ran in 1.9.1 does not mean it is correct, and this is
quite likely to be a previously undetected overwriting of an object in a
package, perhaps by using <<-.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 vidarh at imr.no wrote:

> Full_Name: Vidar Hjellvik
> Version: 2.0.1
> OS: windows
> Submission from: (NULL) (82.134.28.194)
>

> I have an tcltk application that runs without problems in R1.9.1, but when I
> press the "run"-button (and other buttons as well) in R2.0.1, I get the
> message:
>
> "Error in function ()  : can't change value of a locked binding".
>
> I have another tcltk application that runs fine on R2.0.1, so tcltk seems to be
> properly installed.
>
> The source code is available at ftp.imr.no/vidarh/diva.zip

and that appears to be corrupt:

gannet% wget ftp://ftp.imr.no/vidarh/diva.zip
gannet% unzip -l diva
Archive:  diva.zip
warning [diva.zip]:  2735 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
   (attempting to process anyway)
error [diva.zip]:  start of central directory not found;
   zipfile corrupt.
   (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
   appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

(I've tried other routes to the same effect, and I am using binary mode.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk