[Rd] german translation

Fernando Henrique Ferraz P. da Rosa feferraz at ime.usp.br
Fri Feb 18 00:21:18 CET 2005

Prof Brian Ripley writes:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Detlef Steuer wrote:
> (...)
>

> Detlef,
>
> We are AFAIK without a German translator.  Some hints:
>
> 1) Try to get a small team together, as it helps to have someone to
> compare notes with.  Kurt had done some soundings and may be able to add
> to that privately, and Stefano has some cautionary experiences.
>
> If you need a mailing list or similar, please ask Martin.
>
> 2) Just send the translations to any R-core member, by default me I guess.
>
> 3) Use UTF-8 if you can.
>
> 4) There is information in the R-exts manual in R-devel and in the
> Translations.html file on developer.r-project.org.
>
> 5) There are .pot files for each package too.

        I think it would be useful to set up a list (even in static html
on the R-developer page perhaps) of who is working on each
translation, with the respectives e-mail addresses. This way we would avoid
duplication of efforts and make it easier to group teams: anyone
interested on working on a particular language would look up that list
for someone already working on it and contact him.

        I for one I'm working on the translation of the .pot files to
Portuguese-BR (right now I'm on 80% of the R.pot). By the way, I'm using
the ISO8559-1 encoding (which was the recommended* option by the
Brazilian Team on the gettext page) - I still didn't get around to
converting my system to UFT-8, but I hope that isn't a problem. Anyways
I'll try to see if there's a way to convert it from ISO8559-1 to UTF-8.

* ISO8559-1 is still the most used locale for portuguese systems.

--
Fernando Henrique Ferraz P. da Rosa
http://www.ime.usp.br/~feferraz