[Rd] Compiler-specific flags with PKG_CFLAGS

Paul Roebuck roebuck at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Wed Feb 9 17:32:00 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Kurt Hornik wrote:

> This concerns the packages...
> for which current versions of r-devel now report problems with
> non-portable compilation flags in Makevars[.in] files:
>
>    Problems in package 'rwt':
>    Non-portable flags in variable 'PKG_CFLAGS':
>      -Wall -ansi -pedantic
>
> These flags are mostly GCC specific and not portable.
> (Do not assume that any -Ox will work.)
>
> Can you please fix these problems, and provide an update of your
> package?

It has been on my todo list since Ripley brought it up
several weeks ago in r-devel but hadn't exactly figured
out how to package it as such. Someone have an example
of how to add compiler flags for GCC when it is being
used and otherwise not? I'm assuming Makevars isn't being
passed through cpp and I can't just use #ifdef. In this case,
I could just leave them out but I hate to lose the warnings
for development. Using 'configure' is probably the only
option but really didn't want to use it for just stricter
error checking during compilation.

One other question - if package update happens for something
like the above but with no change to contents of package,
should the version number be incremented?