[Rd] Crash when R-devel is started from a shortcut

apjaworski at mmm.com apjaworski at mmm.com
Tue Feb 8 21:47:03 CET 2005

Hi,

I am in a habit of frequently building R-devel daily snapshots.  I use
Win2000 Pro system with all the necessary tools installed and the builds
usually go without a problem.  I also build R-patched snapshots, so my
"production" R is up-to-date.  Hence, I have two parallel installations of
R: R-devel and R-patched.  In Windows environmental variables I set R_HOME
to my R-patched path.  I have shortcuts to both versions of R on my
desktop.

Starting from February 7 build, I noticed the following problem.  The build
itself and the installation (I build the *.exe installer)  run with no
errors but, when I try to start R-devel from a shortcut, I get "The
instruction at 0x77fcc128 referenced memory at 0x00230010.  The memory
could not be read." error.  The same happens when I just go in the Windows
Explorer to the bin directory and double-click on the Rgui.exe icon.  When
I double-click on the Rterm.exe icon, it starts fine in its own terminal
window.

When I open a cygwin terminal window, change the directory to
.../R-devel/bin and type Rgui.exe from there, it starts with no problem, so
I guess something either this is a Windows problem or something else
interferes with the proper path.

Any help will be appreciated.

Andy

Andy Jaworski