[Rd] Problem with Linux installation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 15:04:03 CET 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Miguel A. Arranz wrote:

> Dear R-devel members:
>
> I have been trying to install the latest versions of R-devel with no success.

R-devel changes many times a day: see the SVN logs.

> It builds with no problem, but 'make install' breaks with the error
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bayes/R/R-devel/src/include'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `install-no', needed by `install'.  Stop.
> I guess there is a minor problem with the Makefile, which did not appear on
> the version I am running now (2005-01-26)

Remember R-devel says

Version 2.1.0 Under development (unstable) (2005-02-01), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

and installation of gettext/libintl is actively `under development' at
present.  I don't know exactly when you got your version, but it works
right now with GNU make on Linux and Solaris (there seem to be some
problems with Solaris make that I am in the middle of tracking down).

We do try to have `make all check dist' working at the end of each day
(GMT) so the snapshot tarball builds, but `make install' is only checked
at the end of bouts of development (why would anyone want to install an
unstable version?).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk