[Rd] xy.coords

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:26:21 CET 2005

I think this is just playng with words.  The fact that its always been
like that is not sufficient and is not related to consistency.
xyz.coords also does not work in accordance with the help file
so the fact that the error extends to it just means they are both
in error.

Modularity means loose coupling -- i.e. a function should be
as independent as possible from its surroundings.  The fact
that the second argument is not missing in uses within R base
is not a valid argument for appropriate attention to this principle.

Furthermore, its clear that the current way it works is not even
the intended way -- the intended and better way is as documented
and the software, not the documentation, ought to be changed.