[Rd] 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 29 21:07:19 CET 2005

In a private response to Tony Plate's suggestion to replace version()
output with sessionInfo() in R-help requests,

> roger koenker wrote:
>> Thanks for this, it would seem useful to have version numbers for
>> the packages too?

and Tony replied,

> Sounds sensible to me!  If I were you I'd send a message to R-devel
> suggesting this.  AFAIK, some changes to sessionInfo() are already
> being considered, so this is a good time to suggest that.

So, for what it is worth....

Roger

PS  My notion is that it is sometimes useful to document the state of
play
when a particular object was created, much like the recent thread on
date stamping of objects in R-help.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820