[Rd] png support for R 2.2.1 (PR#8425)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Dec 22 12:59:09 CET 2005

sbrohee at ulb.ac.be wrote:

> Full_Name: Sylvain Brohée
> Version: 2.2.1
> OS: Suse Linux 9.2
> Submission from: (NULL) (164.15.109.58)
>

> I recently went to a new version of R  (2.2.1) but now,  when trying to save a
> plot in the png format, I got this error message :
>

>>png("my_plot.png")
>
> Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize,  :
>         unable to start device PNG
> In addition: Warning message:
> no png support in this version of R
>
> What can I do?

1. Do not send a bug report if there is no bug! Please read the FAQs and
learn what a bug is.
2. Do not send identical messages a couple of times to many mailing lists.
3. Do read the installation manuals.
4. Install both "libpng" and "libpng-devel" in a way that it will be
found by R's configure scripts (e.g. into standard locations).
5. Run R's ./configure and check the last lines of the output, png
support should be mentioned, if not, check what ./configure told you at
the point where it looked for libpng.

Uwe Ligges