[Rd] typo in `eurodist'

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 19:58:07 CET 2005

On 08-Dec-05 Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Torsten> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>     >> I've often wondered about that.
>     Torsten> and the copy editor did too :-)
>
>     >> I've presumed that the names were
>     >> deliberate, so have you checked the stated source?  It's not
>     >> readily available to me (as one would expect in Oxford)?
>
>     Torsten> our library doesn't seems to have a copy of `The
>     Torsten> Cambridge Encyclopaedia', so I can't check
>     Torsten> either. Google has 74.900 hits for `Gibralta'
>     Torsten> (more than one would expect for a typo, I think)
>     Torsten> and 57.700.000 for `Gibraltar'.
>
>     Torsten> So maybe both spellings are in use.
>
> Well,  do you expect web authors to have a much lower rate of
> typos than 1:770 ?
> My limited experience on "google voting for spelling correction"
> has rather lowered my expectation on webauthors' education in
> orthography...
>
> Martin

Hmmm ... Using my Google's "Results ... of about xxx":

  Gibraltar 50,700,000
  Gibralta      75,200
  Gibraltr         573
  Gibralar         836
  Gibratar       1,020
  Gibrltar         349
  Gibaltar       1,850
  Giraltar         530
  Gbraltar         352
  ibralter         576

I'm not proposing to get exhaustive about this, but a few further
experiments suggest that other specific typos are typically O(500)
in frequency:

  Gibralatar   589
  Gibrlatar    618
  Gibrltar     349
  Gobraltar    652

So -- if anyone can find a typo of "Gibraltar" which googles to
more than 5000 hits (excepting "Gibralta")?

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 08-Dec-05                                       Time: 18:58:04