[Rd] generic function argument list problem

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 31 09:30:37 CEST 2005

    Robin> Hi it says in R-exts that

    1) A method must have all the arguments of the generic,
       including ... if the generic does.

    2) A method must have arguments in exactly the same order as the generic.

    3) A method should use the same defaults as the generic.

    Robin> So, how come the arguments for rep() are (x, times, ...) and the
    Robin> arguments
    Robin> for rep.default() are  (x, times, length.out, each, ...) ?  Shouldn't
    Robin> these be the same?

no.  If they should be the same, the "R-exts" manual would use
a much shorter formulation than the carefully crafted points
1--3 above!

The point is that methods often have  *extra* arguments
which match the "..." of the generic.
That's one of the points about "..." !

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich