[Rd] Question about SET_LENGTH

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 29 20:41:03 CEST 2005

SET_LENGTH is in Rdefines.h (you did not say).  It is a wrapper for

 	x = lengthgets(x, n)

and that will do what you want.  HOWEVER, you have changed x and the
object it points to, so you do need to worry about re-protection.
So, I think that macro is rather dangerous (and it is not the only danger
lurking in Rdefines.h, which provides no valid way to assign elements of
character strings or lists any more).

Look and see how lengthgets is used in the R sources.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk