[Rd] Free-form to fixed-form Fortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 10:36:12 CEST 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Ales Ziberna wrote:

> Thank you for your reply!
>
> I know I can use g77 with -ffree-form. However, I do not know how to make a
> package so that when others would build a package, these subrutines would
> compile with "-ffree-form". I heard of "makevars" and flags, however I read
> on the mailing list archives that they are ignored on Windows.

-ffree-form is compiler-specific: it will not work on Sun's f77 for
example, and Sun's f95 needs -free.  The only way to make a portable
package is to use standard code layout as described in the link at

http://developer.r-project.org/Portability.html

Whatever you heard `on the archives' is incorrect.  The correct
information is in the R-admin manual: reading that is part of the homework
expected before posting.