[Rd] IPC

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 21 17:47:48 CEST 2005

Nigel Sim wrote:
> Hi, I need to somehow make R communicate with another remote JAVA
> process which provides compute services. I have control over the
> communications protocol, but I would like to keep it to a standardised
> protocol, such as SOAP, CORBA, etc.
>
> What I would like to know is, what do other people use to do this? The
> nature of the communications will be low bandwidth procedure calls, with
> little data. (The data is stored in a DBMS). To date I have tried the
> RCORBA and SSOAP packages. Corba I couldn't get to compile, and soap I
> couldn't get to talk properly to soapanywhere (the embedded soap
> implementation I am trialing).

Can you let me know what went wrong with SSOAP? It would be
good to fix this and I am about to turn my attention to it anyway.

As for the "RCORBA" package - what precisely are you referring to?
I don't think there is a package named RCORBA, perhaps you mean
RSCORBA.  If so, yes it is quite old. It can be updated
and indeed I have a plan that I might connect it to Orbit.
But if RSCORBA didn't compile, you might want to mention which
CORBA implementation you were trying to use: it was setup to use
3.

As for what people typically use to connect to Java.
There is Rserve. There is RSJava.
I think your desire to use a standard protocol is a very
good one. There are far too many ad hoc solutions that don't
do have limited functionality, such as callbacks.
On Windows, DCOM client and server  and event packages are available.
And there are MPI or PVM packages which implement a form of IPC.

Do you absolutely need to have a middle-tier of going through
the server to get to the DBMS?  It is often a good design,
but if you can go straight to the DBMS, then that would be
esier and more efficient.

Please let me know what went wrong with the SSOAP package.

 D.