[Rd] IPC

Nigel Sim nigel.sim at jcu.edu.au
Mon Aug 22 00:31:05 CEST 2005

Firstly, thanks for all the quick replies.

> Can you let me know what went wrong with SSOAP? It would be
> good to fix this and I am about to turn my attention to it anyway.
Well, I could not get SSOAP to pass the xmlns which specifies the set of
services being requested in the place where soapanywhere expected it.
SSOAP namespaced the actual function call <ns1:fun1 xmlns:ns1="service">
while soapanywhere wanted it declared in the envelope namespace
declarations. SO, I don't really think it is a problem with the SSOAP
implementation, rather it is probably an incomplete implementation of
soap in soapanywhere.

If anyone knows of a more complete, embedded java soap implementation
please let me know. AXIS would be nice, but I've not found how to deploy
it without a tomcat style container.

> As for the "RCORBA" package - what precisely are you referring to?
> I don't think there is a package named RCORBA, perhaps you mean
> RSCORBA.  If so, yes it is quite old. It can be updated
> and indeed I have a plan that I might connect it to Orbit.
> But if RSCORBA didn't compile, you might want to mention which
> CORBA implementation you were trying to use: it was setup to use
> 3.
And yes, RSCORBA is what I was referring to, and I was trying to compile
it against orbit (a la Gnome).

> As for what people typically use to connect to Java.
> There is Rserve. There is RSJava.
> I think your desire to use a standard protocol is a very
> good one. There are far too many ad hoc solutions that don't
> do have limited functionality, such as callbacks.
> On Windows, DCOM client and server  and event packages are available.
> And there are MPI or PVM packages which implement a form of IPC.
>
> Do you absolutely need to have a middle-tier of going through
> the server to get to the DBMS?  It is often a good design,
> but if you can go straight to the DBMS, then that would be
> esier and more efficient.
The architecture is that both R and Java directly access the DB for data
storage and retrieval. R calls to Java are simply to invoke some
datamining function (from the WEKA package), and to query where
execution is up to. There is no proxying of data.

R -----> Java
   DBMS