[Rd] Registering S3 class from external package

John Chambers jmc at R-project.org
Thu Aug 18 23:23:34 CEST 2005

Your description is a bit too vague to be sure, but it sounds as if
you're trying to do something that breaks the basic namespace idea.

Paul Roebuck wrote:

> The package I'm working on can extract data from external
> packages but would otherwise have no dependency on them.
> However, I desire to be able to dispatch based on an
> external S3 class if its package is attached (.First.lib).

Dispatch from where?  If you mean from a generic function inside your
package's namespace, then the corresponding class definitions need to be
defined in or imported into that namespace when it's constructed.  One
of the main virtues of the namespace mechanism is that the known classes
(& therefore the dispatch behavior) are fixed by the package source +
its imports.  This means that the behavior of the package is insulated
against effects from attaching other packages.

OTOH, if you mean dispatch from a generic function in the global
environment or another (non-NAMESPACE) package, then you need to ensure
that the setOldClass() takes place in the appropriate environment; e.g.
if the generic is in the global environment,
   setOldClass(c("foo", "bar"), where = .GlobalEnv)
If you're dispatching from a generic in "somepkg", the setOldClass call
should just be a part of the source for that package.
But, again, these will not help if you're dispatching from the mypkg
namespace; that's just what the mechanism is trying to avoid.

In case it's not clear, the setOldClass() call defines a special kind of
  S4 class for each of the S3 classes.  Therefore it's subject to the
same locking rules as setClass() or any other call that needs to do an
assignment as a side effect.