[Rd] valgrind complains about regex.c (PR#8043)

charlie@stat.umn.edu charlie at stat.umn.edu
Wed Aug 3 22:08:51 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:50:54AM -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> >Did you compile R without optimization?  Such reads are often the result
> >of read-aheads produced by the optimizer in an attempt to keep
> >pipelines full (and are harmless).
>
> There were both a read and a write.  I can see the read being harmless,
> but is the write harmless?  I suspect this may be the bug I fixed on
> July 16, since it had to do with character classes including ranges
> (like Charlie's "[a-pr-z]").
>
> Charlie, have you tried a recent version of R-patched?

Now I have.  The computer is my laptop and not connected to the net
so I can't upload details, but R-1.2.1-patched as of yesterday does
NOT exhibit the same bug.  So I guess you are right.  Sorry for wasting
your time.  I'm still a newbie at this R stuff.  Next time I'll check
against R-*-patched before submitting a bug report.
--
Charles Geyer
Professor, School of Statistics
charlie at stat.umn.edu