[Rd] RE: [R] when can we expect Prof Tierney's compiled R?

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 27 02:50:12 CEST 2005

For what it's worth (probably not much as these simple benchmarks are
rarely representative of real code and so need to be taken with a huge
chunk of salt) here is what happens with your examples in R 2.1.0 with
the current byte compiler.

Define your examples as functions:

     n = 1e6; iA = seq(2,n); x = double(n);
     f1 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) x[i] = x[i-1]
     f2 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) x[i-1]
     f3 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) 1
     f4 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) x[i] = 1.0
     f5 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) i-1
     f6 <- function(x, iA) for (i in iA) i

Make byte compiled versions:

     f1c <- cmpfun(f1)
     f2c <- cmpfun(f2)
     f3c <- cmpfun(f3)
     f4c <- cmpfun(f4)
     f5c <- cmpfun(f5)
     f6c <- cmpfun(f6)

and run them:

     > system.time(f1(x, iA))
     [1] 5.43 0.04 5.56 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f1c(x, iA))
     [1] 1.77 0.03 1.81 0.00 0.00

     > system.time(f2(x, iA))
     [1] 1.72 0.01 1.74 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f2c(x, iA))
     [1] 0.63 0.00 0.63 0.00 0.00

     > system.time(f3(x, iA))
     [1] 0.19 0.00 0.20 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f3c(x, iA))
     [1] 0.14 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.00

     > system.time(f4(x, iA))
     [1] 3.78 0.03 3.82 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f4c(x, iA))
     [1] 1.26 0.02 1.30 0.00 0.00

     > system.time(f5(x, iA))
     [1] 0.99 0.00 1.00 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f5c(x, iA))
     [1] 0.30 0.00 0.31 0.00 0.00

     > system.time(f6(x, iA))
     [1] 0.21 0.00 0.23 0.00 0.00
     > system.time(f6c(x, iA))
     [1] 0.17 0.00 0.20 0.00 0.00

I'll let you do the arithmetic.  The byte compiler does get rid of a
fair bit of interpreter overhead (which is large in these kinds of
examples compared to most real code) but there is still considerable
room for improvement.  The byte code engine currently uses the same
internal C code for doing the actual work as the interpreter, so
improvements there would help both interpreted and byte compiled code.

Best,

luke