[Rd] Objects in R

Nathan Whitehouse nlwhitehouse at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 01:38:08 CEST 2005

  I think S4 is certainly ok for the "interactivity"
aspect of R.

  And probably avoiding untraceable references and
preserving clarity was important to preserve R's role
as a "playing-with-data" language.

  But R can be potentially used for much more than it
is, and therein lies the difficulty.  I think a full
and frank discussion about data structures would be
healthy.   Enunciating the design choices for the
current R object model would be a step in the right
direction.

  Cheers,
  Nathan