[Rd] Negative argument for head() and tail()

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 21 00:49:26 CEST 2005

I'd like to second Vincent's appeal.

Before 'head' and 'tail' were added to package:utils, I had
versions that allowed negative subscripts.

And I found the code rendered by them readable and less subject to
mental or typographical errors.

I think all that is needed for the versions in package::utils is:

 	if (n < 0 ) n <- length(x) + n

or

 	if (n < 0 ) n <- nrow(x) + n

as the first line of the body of each method except head.function.

Chuck