[Rd] recent spam on mailing lists

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 18 08:28:26 CEST 2005

Probably not many of you have noticed, since I assume you
have your own active spam filters:
But we have recently (first time on Friday April 15) had problems
with spam filtering on our mail server.  The spamassassin daemon
(spamd) has "died" for no apparent reason, and hence the mail
has been passed through without spam filtering.

We have had a look at the log files and haven't got a real clue
about the reasons.  As stop-gap measure we now have a "nanny
script" that tries to see if 'spamd' lives, and restarts it in
case it isn't there anymore.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich