[Rd] How allocate STRSXP outside of gc

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 14 20:18:53 CEST 2005

Vadim Ogranovich wrote:
[...]
> * AFAIK, there is no industry standard binary format and a mature
> supporting C-library (especially when the data needs to be compressed).
> I considered HDF and netcdf.
[...]

Interesting. I just finished reading a little about HDF's new format HD5
and their web documentation claims it's flexible enough to store
compressed or chunked data:

http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/whatishdf5.html

Also, you mentioned that you like line oriented ASCII files since many
UNIX utilities work with them, but have you considered NCO, a collection
of UNIX utilites for processing netcdf files:

http://nco.sourceforge.net/

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University