[Rd] patch to add a menu item in Rgui for RSiteSearch

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at math.aau.dk
Wed Apr 13 11:45:14 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> Can you or someone else think of a better name?  That sounds like it
>>> searches www.r-project.org.  I think even 'R Sites Search' would be
>>> better.
>>>
>>> Yes, it is too late: we need lead time for the translators these days.
>>> (RGui has Chinese, German, Italian and Japanese menus available.)
>>

>> I'd suggest "R help online...".
>

> But, it is not 'help online': it is searching docs and past help.

That's "help" in the Windows Help-menu sense, but the important word is
"online".  Some alternatives:

"R online..."  (sounds like it runs R online, but maybe the context is
enough)
"Search online..."  (easily confused with a general Google search)
"R sites online..."

In any case, the 2 or 3 words in the menu aren't going to be the only
clue to the user:  the dialog box should give a line or two describing
what will happen when you do the search.

Duncan Murdoch