[Rd] orphaning CRAN packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Apr 9 17:36:47 CEST 2005

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> On 09-Apr-05 Uwe Ligges wrote:
>
>>(Ted Harding) wrote:
>>
>>>It would be serious if 'norm' were to lapse, since it is
>>>part of the 'norm+cat+mix+pan' family, and people using any
>>>of these are likely to have occasion to use the others.
>>>
>>>I'd offer to try to clean up 'norm' myself if only I were
>>>up-to-date on R itself (I'm waiting for 2.1.0 to come out,
>>>which I understand is scheduled to happen soon, yes?).
>>
>>Ted, that's great!
>>
>>R-2.1.0 is scheduled to be released on April 18 (see
>>http://developer.r-project.org/).
>>
>>It would be even better if you could try out the recent beta
>>release of R-2.1.0 right now in order to spot some possible
>>bugs before release.
>>
>>So it is the perfect occasion to clean up "norm" on R-2.1.0 beta
>>this weekend. ;-)
>

> Well, I'll see what I can do ... though this weekend may not offer
> a lot of free time!

No need to apologise, I just tried to take advantage of the current
enthusiasm on your side. ;-)

> Bearing in mind Martin's and Dirk's comments, going for 2.1.0-beta
> right now seems unlikely to lead to any grief compared with waiting
> for the final release. So at any rate I could start looking at it
> over the next week sometime.
>
> However, there's a question or two.
>
> 1. Simply for the sake of having a look at 'norm', I think
>    this may depend only on things which are part of R-base,
>    so I should not need to download any "recommended"
>    packages. Or are there things in "recommended" which are
>    likely to be presumed? (I've always taken such things for
>    granted since they have been installed by default when I've
>    installed from RPMs; I've not done a full R compilation
>    before, at least not for several years).
>
> 2. Is there a way to get, off CRAN say, a listing of which
>    packages are "recommended"?
>
>    I suffer from slow connection (5min/MB if I'm lucky,
>    and lucky to stay fully connected for more than an hour
>    or two -- even R-base is going to take at least an hour),
>    so I don't want to just connect and do
>      tools/rsync-recommended
>    as suggested on CRAN since this may silently drop into
>    a black hole at some point.
>
>    I'd sooner do it all piecemeal, knowing what's supposed
>    to be on the way and able to start again at that point
>    if there are problems. But this means knowing which are
>    the recommended ones.
>
> (This, by the way, is why I'd been waiting for 2.1.0, since
> it then becomes worth while making an expedition to a fast
> connection or negotiating with someone to do me a CD; but
> with the above assurances I suppose I can go ahead now anyway!)

Two questions, one answer: The beta versions available from
CRAN/src/base-prerelease
already contain recommended packages.

   ./configure
   make
   make install

should be sufficient, in principle.

   make check

would be nice in order to spot errors on your platform.

Uwe