[Rd] orphaning CRAN packages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 9 16:23:52 CEST 2005

    Ted> On 09-Apr-05 Uwe Ligges wrote:
    >> Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear R Developers,
    >>>
    >>> the following CRAN packages do not cleanly pass R CMD
    >>> check for quite some time now and did not have any
    >>> updates since the time given. Several attempts by the
    >>> CRAN admins to contact the package maintainers had no
    >>> success.
    >>>
    >>> norm, 1.0-9, 2002-05-07, WARN

    Ted> It would be serious if 'norm' were to lapse, since it
    Ted> is part of the 'norm+cat+mix+pan' family, and people
    Ted> using any of these are likely to have occasion to use
    Ted> the others.

Indeed!  I had a very similar thought but couldn't afford your
offer (below), so thanks a lot !

    Ted> I'd offer to try to clean up 'norm' myself if only I
    Ted> were up-to-date on R itself (I'm waiting for 2.1.0 to
    Ted> come out, which I understand is scheduled to happen
    Ted> soon, yes?).

yes, as Uwe has already confirmed.

Since R 2.1.0 is now in beta testing, we consider it very
stable, and having less bugs than any other version of R, so
please ("everyone!") follow Uwe's advice and install R 2.1.0"beta"

Martin