[Rd] makeActiveBinding warning

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Wed Apr 6 06:53:37 CEST 2005

A while ago Luke Tierney remarked that the warning associated with
'makeActiveBinding'-- "saved workspaces with active bindings may not
work properly when loaded into older versions of R"-- should probably be
removed in R-devel. It's still cropping up *sporadically* with R-alpha
of 3/4/2004, but not every time I call 'makeActiveBinding'.

So, two questions:

(i) is it going to go altogether with the release of R2.1? If not, I'll
need to tweak my code to suppress the warning

(ii) is the warning actually correct? When I experimented with this (a
bit), it seemed to me that the binary image file contained the full
unbound version of the object, and actually did load normally into R1.7
(the oldest version I still have).

Thanks
Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS