[Rd] intentional changes in rw2010alpha?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:23:13 CEST 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> Is this changes intentional?

The description of what happened (and still happens) is wrong ....

> Now
>
> Rcmd INSTALL --build --clean myPkg
>
> builds the tar.gz, and only then cleans. Also, files left by xemacs like
> myfile~ are now included in the tar.gz. I think this were excluded before?
>
> Intentional?

Rcmd INSTALL --build  does not build a .tar.gz, but a .zip!

I think you are confusing it with Rcmd build.  The documented process is

1) Use R CMD build to build myPkg_ver.tar.gz, the source package.
2) Use R CMD INSTALL --build myPkg_ver.tar.gz to build myPkg_ver.zip, the
binary package for distribution.

The --clean you are using refers to cleaning e.g. src/*.a after the
install, not to cleaning the sources.  That has not changed:
Rcmd INSTALL --help says

   -c, --clean           remove all files created during installation

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk