[Rd] Error: cannot set length of non-vector

Charles Geyer charlie at stat.umn.edu
Sun Apr 3 07:50:24 CEST 2005

The subject line says it all.  How can I find what

    Error: cannot set length of non-vector

means?  RTFS is no help.  I can find out of course that
it comes from "lengthgets", but who called that?  Not me!

The situation is as follows.  I am trying to get a package
ready for CRAN.  Every time I run "R CMD check" I get this
error when building the package vignette.  But (!)
"R CMD build" has no complaints and neither does "Sweave"
when run directly on the vignette.

The whole story is in the file

    http://www.stat.umn.edu/geyer/mcmc/package/typescript

If it makes any difference

    R 2.1.0 alpha (2005-03-31)
    gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
    SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)
    Linux 2.6.5-7.104-smp i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

The whole package is

   http://www.stat.umn.edu/geyer/mcmc/package/mcmc_0.5.tar.gz

As far as I can see there is no "debug" mode for "R CMD check"
that will tell me what it is complaining about.

Google gives me only a couple of other packages exhibiting this
error and no helpful info.